DNA Starlett vacuum tube headphone amplifier
The motivation for developing the Starlett was to create a fun, musical, easy-living amplifier for everyone to enjoy with their favorite dynamic headphones ranging from vintage beyers and AKGs to the latest Focals and ZMFs. It needed to be a significant upgrade over the earlier Sonett and Sonett 2 amplifiers yet embody their spirit. After thinking on/off about the idea for quite some time and exploring various tubes and circuit designs, the solution ultimately turned out to be a cascaded 2-stage single ended triode (SET) topology, same as used in the Stratus and Stellaris. Now, whereas those two amplifiers feature the 2A3 directly heated triode output tube, the Starlett uses the 6DG6 triode-wired penthode which interestingly has a similar plate impedance to the 2A3 and output transformer requirements. Particular effort was made to ensure a very quiet, noise-free background for sensitive headphones whilst providing plenty of output voltage swing capability for higher impedance ones.
Design features include:
• Purist class A single ended triode design
• Output transformers custom made to DNA's specifications in USA
• Zero feedback or other error correction trickery
• Point-to-point hand wired audio circuitry using carefully selected audiophile components
• TKD volume control potentiometer
• Choke-filtered high tension power supply with separate filter capacitors for left and right channels
• 1 pair RCA unbalanced inputs
• 4-pin XLR and 1/4" stereo TRS outputs
• XLR and 1/4" TRS outputs provide the same power: 440mW into 50 ohms, 360mW into 100 ohms
• 1/4" stereo TRS output on -6dB gain attenuation setting has selectable output impedance between 3 ohm (Low setting) and 115 ohm (IEC setting)
• 16dB gain
• Tube complement:
Input impedance: 50Kohms
Dimensions: 7.5" H x 15" W x 12.25" D (19cm H x 38.1cm W x 31.1cm D) including tubes and connectors & controls.
Mains voltage: 100/110/120/220/230/240V configurable
The DNA Starlett is sold factory direct.
Contact us for information how to purchase
Copyright © 2001 - 2019 Donald North Audio LLC. All rights reserved.